Monday, July 2, 2007

Traverse City


Chris had a great opportunity to work at a migrant dental clinic in Traverse City, Michigan. He was there for two weeks. I went up and visited him one weekend. Here are a few pictures of Northern Michigan. We had so much fun. It was really beautiful.



Okay, so I am trying something new. Getting pictures from the web. It was really hard. Nobody wants to share their pictures. Here is the best one I could find to give you an idea of were we went. So do you see Detroit down on the right? Ann Arbor (were we live) is 45 min west of there. We went to Traverse City, which is up on the west side of the map. It is on the Lake Michigan side. Then we went from there to Mackinac Island, which is up at the top of the Lower Peninsula. It is a small island on Lake Huron.


Here we are at Traverse Bay


Here I am watching a turtle swim that was covered in sea weed



We then went to Sleepy Bear Dunes, which are huge sand hills. We hiked about half way up. There is a lake in the background. Michigan has lakes all over the place.



We played Frisbee on the beach and watch the sunset go down on one of Lake Michigan's many beaches.

The next day we drove to Mackinac City and took a boat over to Mackinac Island. Here we are on the boat.

Mackinac Island only allows horses and bikes on the island as a mode of transportation. We rented some cool bikes and biked around the whole island. It was about 8 miles. Here are are posing with our snazzy bikes.

Here is an view of the harbor from a hill top on the island. The island closes from December to April or when ever the ice melts on the lake.

After the fun bike ride

View of the main street on the island. Notice how bikes rule the street. It was so fun seeing parking spots just for bikes. We had a great weekend seeing Northern Michigan.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Looks like it was a blast, we will definately make a trip before we leave here. Great pictures! By the way, I got the tag, so I will try, but you know me, forgetful, and slow!

Unknown said...

It looks like you guys had a blast! I am glad you are living it up back there!

Unknown said...

and you are getting so smart on the blog getting maps and all that I wouldn't even know where to start with that stuff! Miss you!

Jocee Bergeson said...

Michigan is so pretty! Enjoy your adventure, but hurry back to UTAH so we can see you more. You're the best. I miss you too!

Jill said...

I've discovered your blog! It looks like you guys had a great time! We haven't ever done Mackinaw Island-looks gorgeous! Oh, and I love the quilt! You could definitely teach me a thing or two!

Jill

Jenny said...

Wow, how did we miss all this when we lived in Michigan? So pretty!